Summer is in full swing and what better way to bask in some sunshine than to enjoy a picnic with a loved one or two or three….
So, if you want to do your bit at reducing your waste, here are some tips on what you can do prepare for a glorious picnic:
- Shop locally for some goodies and take in your jars and containers to store them in. It makes for an easy transition to the pantry or fridge if you have any leftovers after your picnic. You can also use a trusty bread bag to purchase a tasty loaf.
- If your favourite picnic goodies come in plastic, try and buy in bulk and only take what you think you’ll need. Then make sure you dispose of the packaging properly, particularly if you can recycle some of it.
- If time permitted, prepare and/or cook something the night before. There are plenty of waste free treats you can make. I especially like homemade crackers and am a sucker for a quiche.
- Wrap up your prepared treats and sandwiches in either beeswax wraps or store them in reusable containers.
- Take your own cutlery, crockery and reusable napkins. Store your food in a reusable lunch bag and take your beverages in a reusable drink bottle.
And please remember to clean up after yourself and dispose of rubbish properly. This helps to keep our local communities nice and tidy.